Sunday, March 21, 2010

Man/Girl

So I realised recently that I'm just a grumpy old man trapped in the body of a twenty-one-year-old girl. "Oh, you don't know grumpy," said Forty-Two at work the other day, "you just wait."
"You don't live with a psychopathic witch," I grumbled back at her, and it was true, she didn't. She ceded the point. And so doth youth ever deny age the wisdom of experience.

In honour of this new self-recognition, I'm smashing some last lingering youthful ideals. I figure the grumpy old man in me's gotta die at some point, I mean men only live so long, don't they? And assuming some kind of karmic regeneration process it follows that I'll probably end up as a six-year-old kid in the body of a thirty-year old or something, and that suits me just fine. So there'll be time to be all young and reborn later on. In the meantime I'm cultivating a doughty pessimism, pronouncing drearily on everything from the weather to sex shops, making an art form out of daily glasses misplacement, and lingering over-long around tobacconists. I'm also THAT close to buying a kitten, but I better not. I'd probably trample it or something.

1 comment:

  1. As long as you don't end up as the psychopathic witch.

    ReplyDelete