Friday, December 25, 2009

Waiting for Santa

A row of coloured lanterns glowed,
a stripe above a tree. I considered turning
them off for the night but the light
was all that Christmas Eve should be and besides,
I was waiting for Santa.

In the absence of a chimney, a landing strip
could only be a good thing.

I hadn't left cookies, or milk or beer, but I wanted to honour the night,
the sleepless child-me of Christmas Eves past,
so I turned my back on the gold-wrapped packages
and let them bask
all the night.

In the morning the light
fanning through the slats of my blinds, my eyes, was
hot, eleven o'clock
ish
yet checking my watch it was scarcely seven.

I thought of the light
of the night before, and the shells
of wrapping and discovered gifts that would litter
the floor tonight, and realised
that Christmas had already gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment